I love food, ALL food. I love the familiar foods I grew up with but I especially enjoy new foods from other cultures and countries. Our whole family especially loves spicy and flavorful foods. Gumbo is right up our alley! It’s my oldest very favorite meal and she requests it all the time so we make it monthly.
I like to change authentic recipes to fit my tastes, so I don’t include okra in this recipe, and while I love shrimp, my kids don’t so I don’t include them either (for now, hoping the kids develop more tastes as they get older). What about you? any favorite ingredients in Gumbo I should consider adding to mine? It’s hard to go wrong with this dinner!
- 1/3 C Olive Oil
- 1/3 C Flour
- 2-4 Chicken breasts cubed
- 1-2 sausages sliced
- 1 Lrg onion chopped
- 1 Lrg green pepper chopped
- 1 Can Ro Tel
- 4 C chicken broth
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4+ cups water to taste/preference
- Salt, pepper to taste/preference
- Cooked rice
- In a large pot cook oil and flour as roux until it's the color of a copper penny on medium high.
- Add the sausage, onion and green pepper and cook them about 5 mins, add the chicken and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, about 10mins.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring mixture to a simmer with the lid on.
- Turn the heat to low and continue to simmer for a minimum of 20 mins, but the longer you simmer the better the flavor. Keep the lid on for long term cooking, if you take the lid off too much feel free to add more water.
- Serve over rice, as dry or soupy as you want!
I prefer my Gumbo soupy, really soupy. I add a lot of the gumbo over the rice and let it sit awhile, let the rice soak up the sauce! My kids like it more rice, less soup and with an ice cube to cool it down!