A few years ago, okay 4 1/2 years ago (where does the time go!!)I got to take a girls weekend with my best friend to NYC to celebrate my 30th birthday! A few weeks later my husband lost his job, so I’m so grateful I went when I did because it’s not going to happen again for a long time! ANYWAY! While we were there we went to Serendipity to try the Frozen Hot Chocolate!
It was served in a giant bowl just like this one, in a plate overflowing! It was great and I KNEW I could make my own version. SO I went home and played around with using ice cream, using ice and a blender and using the ice cream maker. I found that the Ice cream maker created the BEST texture. Then I tweaked my homemade hot chocolate recipe to figure out what crystallized best.
- 1/4 C cocoa
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 C water
- 2 C milk
- 1 C cream (or another cup of milk IF your using whole milk)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla (or 1 tsp vanilla and 1/2 peppermint or other extract)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Add the water, whisk and cook over medium high heat until it boils.
- Let it boil for 1 min then add the milk, cream and vanilla and stir well.
- Pour into a glass container and refrigerate until cool
- Stir it well again and pour it into the ice cream maker and turn it on.
- Leave it until it's the right consistency (about 30 mins I've found)
- Top with whipped cream and serve!
If you use low fat or 1% milk make sure you add the cream. If you’re using whole milk you’ll be okay with all milk, but using the cream will ad a creaminess to it that you MIGHT like. And for flavor you can make it plain with all vanilla pr substitute some peppermint or other favorite extract (I like amaretto too). I like to top with freshly whipped cream and some shaved chocolate in a huge glass bowl on a plate just like they do in Serendipity!