Most people probably start a rounded crochet project in a chain, like ch2, 11 sc in the 2nd ch. It’s great, but it tends to leave a big hole, or gap in the center. But if you like your center TIGHT you’ll need to use a Magic ring! Then there will be no hole or gap in the center like this.
YO (yarn over)
sl st (slip stitch)
sc (single crochet)
1. Wrap the yarn around your finger once or twice (I’ve always preferred twice, but it’s hard to pull tight later). Front to back clockwise.
2. Stick the hook into the circle and YO and pull it back through
3. Ch once (or more for a larger stitch)
4. Sc around (or any other stitch you are using)
5. Now pull the short end, until you close the circle up tight!
6. Sl st to the first sc and your first row is done!