This is one of my all time favorite desserts. And one of the few that doesn’t have ANY CHOCOLATE in it (This and my sour cream lemon pie recipe). Even my “I don’t like sweets” husband LOVES this dessert. It has a great light feel, with a great, not too strong, flavor, but I could eat the whole pan in one sitting. It goes GREAT paired with fresh berries and my Berry Coulis recipe.
I’ve always loved panna cotta as a dessert. It’s not my typical heavy flourless dark chocolate cake craving, but there is just something about it that I delight in. Maybe it’s because I love the creamy texture, and subtle flavor. It kind of creeps up on you, how amazing it is. I have been wanting to try a few other panna cotta recipes, but every time i’m craving one I go straight for this easy, favorite recipe!
- Heat milk, cream and sugar in a sauce pan over low heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- While your dissolving the sugar put the gelatin in the cold water and let sit for 5 mins.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the milk mixture and add the vanilla.
- Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Strain and pour into ramekins or a 9 inch pie pan.
- Press plastic wrap down on top (so you don't get a nasty crust) and immediately put in the refrigerator until set (overnight)
- Serve plain, with fresh berries or with Berry Coulis
It’s hard to mess this recipe up, it’s so easy, BUT I have done it, twice now. Once I forgot to strain it, and while it still tastes fine, the texture isn’t quite right, it isn’t as smooth, so DON’T forget that step. And the last time I made it I didn’t put it right in the fridge and it separated before setting, it had a too strong thick coconut top with a flavorless gelatin below, it wasn’t good. So make sure to cover and refrigerate right away!
Because it holds it’s shape it’s great for cute molds you might have. Like how amazing would this be in a small 1 serving size heart mold with this gorgeous sauce for Valentines day? I am SOO looking for the perfect heart molds right now!
Do you have a favorite panna cotta recipe I should try? I’ve been debating a pistachio or grapefruit… I sense recipe testing coming up!Don't miss out on a new recipe. Subscribe to I'm Topsy Turvy by Email Some of the links in my posts may be “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Thank you for supporting I'm Topsy Turvy when you shop!